- Abbie Kinnaird needed operation and skin graft following spider bite
- Infestation of brown recluse spiders and false widows in her Essex home
- The spiders have a venomous bite which can lead to necrosis of the skin
- Brown recluse spiders, which can kill children, hiding in clothing and toys
A deadly spider infestation has left an eight-year-old girl with a hole in her hand and too scared to return to her home.
Abbie Kinnaird was rushed to hospital needing surgery and a skin graft after she was bitten by a brown recluse spider.
Pest control officers have now warned Abbie’s family not to return to their home in Colchester, Essex after a suspected infestation of false widows and brown recluse spiders – which have a venomous and potentially fatal bite.
Abbie Kinnaird was hospitalised for several days after being bitten by a brown recluse spider
A suspected brown recluse spider fell from the bathroom ceiling and sank its fangs into her hand and two more were found in her bed
The brown recluse spiders (pictured right) are thought to be hiding in the family’s toys and clothes and their bites can lead to necrosis of the flesh. Left, Abbie’s inflamed hand
The spiders are thought to be hiding in the family’s toys and clothes and their bites can lead to necrosis of the flesh.
The suspected brown recluse spider fell from the bathroom ceiling and sank its fangs into Abbie’s hand, while two more were found in her bed.
The eight-year-old’s mother Hayley Kinnaird eventually had to rush her to hospital where she was kept for four days.
‘The [pest control] man said he could only see a couple of spiders but once he started spraying he saw more of them including brown recluse spiders and false widows.
‘He said that they could be hiding in toys and clothing and there was a risk that some spiders would remain for several weeks until they come into contact with the pesticide.
‘He didn’t recommend coming back to the house.’
Five-year-old Branson Riley Carlisle from Alabama in America died after being bitten by a brown recluse spider on his shoulder in November 2014.
The bite started as a red spot before becoming sore, inflamed and black and Abbie was given antibiotics before undergoing surgery and a skin graft
While the eight-year-old has remained brave throughout her ordeal, she is terrified to return to her home
BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS
The venomous brown recluse spider
Brown recluse spiders are one of only two spiders with medically significant venom in North America.
While often not painful at first, their bite contains a hemotoxic venom that can lead to necrosis of the skin.
Most deaths associated with brown recluse spiders involve young children.
Mrs Kinnaird said the bite started as a red spot before becoming sore, inflamed and black so she took her to a walk-in centre the following day where Abbie was given a course of antibiotics.
A week later the bite had not improved and Abbie developed bumps on her arm and a rash so was advised to go to hospital, where she was immediately put on a drip.
Mrs Kinnaird said: ‘We were told she would need a skin graft and within a couple of hours she was sent into surgery.
‘They cut out all the black and flushed out whatever was inside.’
Abbie was hooked up to an antibiotic drip three times a day during her four-day stay in hospital in a bid to flush out the infection from the gaping wound which was the size of a 10p piece.
Since leaving hospital Abbie has had three hospital check-ups with her mother cleaning the wound and changing the bandages every other day.
Their landlady arranged for pest control experts to fumigate the house following the ‘medium infestation’.
The schoolgirl has bruising on her arms after the bite – which could have had fatal consequences
Hayley, Abbie and her 10-year-old brother Rhys have been staying with her mother in her one-bedroom flat.
Mrs Kinnaird said: ‘I’ve asked Colchester Council to see if they can set us up with emergency housing but they say they’ve got nothing available, and can only offer a hostel which I don’t feel safe staying in with the children.
‘I’m fuming, they don’t seem to care. It’s easy for them to say the spiders will be gone but when you’re eight and have spent four days in hospital because of them saying the flat is fine and her bed won’t have spiders in it doesn’t make it easier for her.’
A Colchester Borough Homes spokesperson said: ‘In this case the customer was offered short-term temporary accommodation, but this was not taken up.
‘Our Housing Options Team offer housing advice and solutions to those who are threatened with homelessness.’
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3977828/Deadly-spider-infestation-leaves-girl-8-hospitalised-hole-hand-scared-home.html#ixzz4RIlujLja
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook