Bug bites are actually fairly common, and most of the time they are nothing to worry about. Sure, they can be itchy and a little bit painful but for the most part they are generally harmless and go away on their own or with a simple topical treatment.
However, our casual attitude towards bug bites causes us to overlook sometimes a very serious and even life-threatening condition.
After returning from vacation one mother assumed that her daughter had picked up a harmless bug bite, but what seemed like nothing soon turned into every parents worst nightmare.
When Hayley Williams from England returned from Ibiza with her family she grew concerned when her daughter Connie wasn’t healing from a big bite.
“It wasn’t until the next morning when I saw it go black that I thought it wasn’t quite right,” Hayley said.
It was only after a number of tests that the horrific truth was revealed. her body reacted unusually to the bug bite because she had leukemia.
Thankfully, doctors were able to catch it early and with aggressive chemo Connie’s cancer was finally in remission.
Hayley said “that insect bite was a Godsend, because we wouldn’t have caught [the cancer] when we did.”
It just goes to show how easy it is to mistake something so serious for something so innocuous.
“Connie started losing her hair but she has been so brave. I think we found it harder than her. She has been really cheerful through all of it. I am so proud of her.”
Connie is lucky and is expected to be cancer-free within two years!
We send our thoughts and prayers to her, and her family and wish them all the best for the future.
Don’t hesitate to contact your doctors if you are worried about something abnormal.
SHARE this story with your friends below!
Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section, we would love to hear from you.