Plants we grow in our houses are not only responsible for more oxygen but they also possess the ability to clean the air of both mold and toxins. So, it is less likely to inhale thereof, which is certainly good for our health.
A study done on domestic plants, conducted by NASA, has found that some types of plants have the “power” to filter the air we breath as well as remove some organic compounds that evaporate better than others.
Such plants also filter the air from numerous building materials, paint, dust etc.
In this article we will present you with 6 plants you need to grow in your house. Here are the top 6 plants you must have in your house:
▪ Aloe – This plant is great because it can raise oxygen level in the home. It also absorbs carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and formaldehyde. Just one aloe plant can easily achieve what 9 biological air purifiers can.
▪ Ficus (FicusElastica) – This awesome plant is very easy to maintain because of the fact that it does not need lot of light. Ficus is extremely effective for cleansing the air of formaldehyde. However, make sure to be careful with it if you have pets or small children because this plant’s leaves can be poisonous.
▪ Ivy (Hedera Helix) – This plant should be present in every home. Ivy is able to remove up to 60% of the toxins present the air and up to 58% of feces particles within 6 hours from the moment it is brought in the area.
▪ Spider plant (ChlorophytumComosum) – The spider plant possesses the ability to make photosynthesis even under minimal light. It also excellently absorbs toxins present in the air, such as styrene, carbon monoxide and formaldehyde, as well as gasoline. One spider plant can effectively purify air in almost 200 square meters of space.
▪ Snake plant (SansevieriaTrifasciata “Laurentii”) – The snake plant is almost indestructible and having it in the home it great. It is extremely resistant and only needs very little light in order to make photosynthesis. Besides being able to remove toxins, the plant is great for keeping it in the bedroom because it is able to produce oxygen at night.
▪ Peace lilies (“Mauna Loa” Spathiphyllum) – It is excellent when it comes to removing chemicals and toxins from the air. This herb also filters trichloroethylene from air as well as formaldehyde.
NASA recommends to have between 15 and 19 such plants in a 500 square meters area. This means that 3 to 4 plants are just enough in 80 square meter area. Also, do not forget to place one of the plants in the bedroom because you are probably spending some time there.