Scented candles serve many purposes. Perhaps you love to light one when you’re taking a relaxing bath. Or when you want to have an intimate moment with your lover. Candles can set the mood unlike anything else.
But now research is showing that they do a lot more harm than good.
Learn the reality about scented candles below!
Professor Alastair Lewis from the National Centre for Atmospheric Science at the University of York has proven that the common ingredient used to give candles their decadent scent actually transforms into the poisonous gas formaldehyde when burned.
What’s the toxic chemical in scented candles? Limonene.
Limonene is used in scented candles to provide a citrus-like aroma. Don’t be fooled. Lemon scented candles usually use this chemical and not natural ingredients.
When unaltered, limonene is safe. It’s used to flavor foods and give cleaning supplies a lemon scent. But when limonene molecules react to the ozone when released into the air one in two mutate into toxic formaldehyde.
Since most homes are well insulated, formaldehyde lingers for a long time causing long-lasting damage to your family.
The Health Protection Agency lists formaldehyde as a possible carcinogen or a cancer causing substance.
In order to combat negative effects of using scented candles, make sure to open your doors and windows after use, Dr. Lewis recommends.
Or you can quit using scented candles altogether. That might be best.
Watch the video below for more information on the dangers of scented candles.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.