Scott Walker and his wife experienced the nightmare with their new born their daughter, Molly!
The baby was born seven weeks earlier and by the time they got her home she was already sick. She was crying and screaming like crazy, and her head was turning red as if she got a fever! When the parents removed little Molly’s socks, they discovered something they are now hoping to spread to parents all over the world.
That’s where they found the source of the screaming: a hair tourniquet around her toe. Like many parents, Scott had never heard of the syndrome, which is when a strand of hair that inexplicably wraps around a toe so tight that it can cut through the skin and potentially cut off blood circulation.
“The hair tourniquet syndrome wasn’t anything I ever heard about. When we found it was pretty stressful because any time your kid is hurt it’s stressful; you feel helpless. I’m lucky enough to have a wife who is an awesome nurse who was able to remove the hair in minutes,” said Scott.
Here’s what her father wrote in his Facebook post to warn all the parents:
“Had a small scare this afternoon with Ms. Molly. What happened was new to me, but apparently not totally uncommon, so I figured I’d share with my fellow parents out there.”
“I was with the family over lunch and Molly was cranky and screaming–nothing out of the ordinary. As worked up as she was getting, she started to overheat, which prompted Jess to remove her socks and cool her down. That’s when we saw her toe. This is called a hair tourniquet, which is literally a strand of hair that, while inside a sock, unexplainably wraps around a toe so tight that it can cut through the skin and potentially cut off blood circulation.”
“Luckily for Molly, she has a mother with medical emergency superpowers who was able to remove the hair with tweezers and a magnifying glass within a few minutes. This picture was taken about 45 minutes after the hair was removed. Unfortunately, the hair managed to cut all the way through Molly’s skin, completely around her toe, but it could have been worse had it gone much longer untreated, or if the hair wasn’t accessible.”
Doctor warn to always check the toes if the baby is inconsolable. Cases like this one are more common than you think!