Celery is an incredibly healthy vegetable which can provide an endless list of health benefits, so after you read this article, we believe you will definitely add it to your regular menu.
These are its amazing health benefits:
- Celery helps digestion: Some people depicts the taste of celery as “crunchy water,” and it is definitely beneficial for your digestion.
It is rich in water, which when combined with the insoluble fiber in it, regulates the stool. Tip: In the case of diarrhea, avoid celery, as it has potent diuretic and cleansing properties.
- Celery alleviates inflammation. Its consumption will relieve acne, asthma, joint pains, and lung infections.
- It regulates the body’s alkaline balance- Celery regulates the balance of ph levels in the body and prevents the acidic state of the system.
- It reduces blood pressure: Celery contains active compounds known as phthalides which improve the circulatory health, while the consumption of the raw celery reduces high blood pressure.
- Celery treats “bad” cholesterol: Celery contains an ingredient known as butylphthalide, which provides its aroma and taste, and this component reduces bad cholesterol!
According to a research done at the Chicago University, just two stalks of celery daily can reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) by up to 7 points!
- It contains “good” salts. Celery contains natural, organic sodium, so not one in table salt. It is vital for the overall health.
- It supports eye health. A big celery stalk has up to 10 percent of the daily need for Vitamin A, which protects the eyes and protects against age-related degeneration of vision.
- Celery helps you lose weight. A large stalk has only 10 calories, so add it freely to your salads, stir-fries, and soups.
- It reduces stress: Celery soothes the nervous system due to the high amounts of minerals, especially magnesium, and essential oil. Therefore, it reduces stress, and if eaten in the evening, it will help you fall asleep easily.
- Celery can fight cancer: The University of Illinois conducted two studies which found that celery has a potent flavonoid, called luteolin, which inhibits the growth of cancer cells, especially in the case of pancreatic cancer. Another study showed that the regular consumption of celery could greatly delay the formation of breast cancer cells.
- It can enhance your sex life: As stated by Dr. Alan R. Hirsch, Director of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation, celery contains two pheromones– androstenone and androstenol–, which are released while chewing celery, and boost the arousal levels.
- Always opt for upright celery stalks that snap when bent, with fresh, crispy leaves.
- Always choose to steam it- in this way, the celery will preserve its flavor and even 99 percent of its nutrients
- Freshly chopped celery keeps its nutrients much better than if you chop and store it even for a couple of hours.
- The darker the color of the celery, the stronger the flavor.