A couple of months back Carelle Mowatt, a country singer, noticed a big blister on her leg which she dismissed as ringworm and left it untreated for a while. However, after the blister burst and revealed a big wound underneath, she immediately went to her doctor. What he told her would forever change her life!
The wound and blister were caused by a recluse spider bite! Recluse spiders (also known as brown recluse spiders) are a genus of venomous spiders known for their bite, which sometimes produces a characteristic set of symptoms known as loxoscelism. Carelle was immediately put on antibiotics and changed her bandage daily, but after a few weeks, the pain was terrible and she went back to the hospital, where she was given stronger antibiotics and even morphine for the pain! Even with an aggressive therapy like that, she got worse and they wound became bigger and bigger!
Luckily, doctors were able to remove the dead tissue and save her leg, and the infection was eventually cured. Her terrifying experience serves as a reminder for all that you shouldn’t ignore any symptoms, however small!