Ear infection is more often in children than adults. It is caused by a bacteria or virus in the middle ear, accompanied by symptoms like: ear pain, headache, fever, poor response to sounds, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty sleeping ad others.
The ear is consisted of outer, middle and inner ear, each of them with its own function. Each ear part can get infected, but the inner ear infection can be the most serious.
If you don`t treat the infection quickly, it can cause complications like rupture of the ear drum, leading to chronic recurrence or even deafness.
You should consult your doctor if you suspect you have ear infection, but you can also try some natural remedies you have at your home, which can treat the infection and relieve the pain.
These are the 10 most effective natural remedies for ear infection:
One of the numerous health benefits of garlic is treating ear infections. There are a few ways to use it for this purpose:
- Cook 2 garlic cloves in 2 tbsp. of sesame or mustard oil, until it gets darker. Strain the oil and, while still warm, apply 2-4 drops in the infected ear.
- Boil 2-3 garlic cloves in water for 5 minutes, then crush them and add some salt. Wrap the mixture in a cloth and put it on the affected ear.
- Eat 2-3 raw garlic cloves a day to speed up the healing process.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar is great for destroying the fungus which is causing the ear infection.
- Soak a cotton ball in mixture of equal parts ACV and water/alcohol, and put in the ear like a plug for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay down on the opposite side so that the liquid can drain from the ear. If needed, use a hairdryer to completely dry the ear.
- Chop an onion and put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and, when cooled, strain out the juice. Put 2-3 drops of the juice in the infected ear, let it act for some time and lean the head on the opposite side to drain out the ear.
- You can also bake an onion for 30 minutes, cut into half and put one half in a cotton cloth. Apply the cotton cloth on the infected ear for 5 minutes, make a 10-minute pause, and repeat the treatment again.
TEA TREE OIL
The antibacterial properties of the tea tree oil are excellent for instant relieve of the ear pain.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of olive oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil, 1 tsp. of ACV and 1 tsp. of colloidal silver.
- Warm the mixture a bit, put it in the infected ear and let it act for 5 minutes. Then lay on the opposite side, for the liquid to drain out of the ear.
- Repeat the treatment 2-3 times a day.
This is the most available remedy, every kitchen has it.
- Heat up a cup of salt (or rice), in a pan on low heat, for couple of minutes. You can also use the microwave for heating the salt.
- Wrap the hot salt in a cloth, close the open end and place it on the ear for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat the treatment as much as you like during the day. The heat from the salt will draw out the fluids from the ear, and reduce pain and swelling.
Basil can cure the infection and reduce or completely relieve the pain.
- Extract the juice from 5 basil leaves and apply it around the infected ear, but don`t let the juice get inside the ear.
- Also, you can mix equal amounts of basil oil and some carrier oil like olive or coconut oil. Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and wipe the area behind the ear, as well as the outer edge. Repeat this 2 times a day, until the pain is gone.
The Eustachian tube can get blocked by the ear wax, and the best way to clean it is with olive oil.
- Warm dome olive oil and put a few drops in the infected ear.
- Wait until the wax is softened, then remove it.
- You can use mustard instead of olive oil.
BOTTLE WITH WARM WATER
A quick pain relief can be a bottle with warm water. It can also prevent bacteria infestation.
- Place a warm water bottle or a heating pad against the infected ear.
- You can also use a warm compress. Dip a clean washcloth in warm water, drain the excess water and place it on the infected ear. Hold it for 5 minutes, remove it, wait for bit and put it again, so that the ear won`t be exposed to heat for too long.
JUICE FROM MANGO LEAVES
- Grind or crush 2-3 soft mango leaves to extract the juice.
- Warm the juice slightly and put 3-4 drops of the juice in the infected ear, using a dropper.
- The pain will be relieved in minutes.
- Repeat the treatment 2-3 times a day, until the pain is completely gone.
Breast milk contains antibodies, so it`s a great remedy for ear infection because it can speed up the healing process, reduce swelling or any discomfort caused by the ear infection. And all of this in only a few days. This natural remedy can be used for children and adults.
- Apply a few drops of breast milk in the infected ear.
- Repeat the treatment every few hours, until the pain is gone.
- If you don`t notice any improvement after a couple of days, you should seek professional medical attention.