Miami, FL — Sleep directly impacts our health – from how we age to how long we live, and even how we look. But for a number of us, sleep doesn’t ‘come easy’. More often then not, we struggle to get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.
Get this: An estimated 45 million Americans have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking up too early – at least three times a month, for more than a month. Another 60 million have the same sleep issues, but less often.
Research is proving we need to take sleep more seriously. Bedtime should be the most relaxing part of your day, not the most stressful. Here are six tips you can use tonight to sleep like a baby and wake up refreshed.
1. Nix the 2PM Coffee If you’re a fan of afternoon coffee but struggle to fall asleep, avoid caffeine in the afternoon.
2. Don’t Drink Alcohol Too Late Research shows drinking a glass of wine a night has no negative impacts on weight loss. However, drinking too close to bedtime can spike your blood sugar, leading to a drop in the middle of the night that causes you to wake up early.
3. Snack Before Bed Eating a small, high protein snack before bed will keep your blood sugar stable through the night making for a better sleep — greek yogurt, cottage cheese and casein protein are all excellent choices.
4. Make Your Bedroom Your Sanctuary Your bedroom should be where you go to sleep…that’s it. If you find yourself in bed at 8 and still awake at 11, you might want to think about leaving your room. Using your bed as a place to read, write or watch TV — really anything stimulating — can psychologically interfere with your sleep schedule.
5. Read…Fiction Reading a good fiction novel before bed is another great way to unwind — just make sure you do it cozied up on the couch, not the bed!
6. Add a Few Vitamins and Herbs to Your Diet Certain vitamins, herbs, and supplements are safe, but incredibly effective in priming your body for a deep sleep. You can typically find these at health stores and pharmacies. But, if you’re interested in getting all of them into one convenient dose, you might want to think about supplementing with a natural sleep.
- L Theanine
- Valerian Extract
- Hops Extract
- Lemon Balm
- Chamomile Flower
- Passion Flower