The old housewives` tale is true. By cooking in a cast-iron skillet you are increasing your body`s absorption of this very important metal. In this article we are about to present 10 reasons why you should buy and use cast iron skillet, in case you have not got one yet.
Below you will find 10 reasons why you should use cast iron cookware.
1. It will supply you with Iron. This kind of cookware is the only kind that provides you with some nutritional benefits. It releases small amounts of iron in the food each time you cook. By cooking food in cast iron, you will improve your body’s iron levels, especially if you cook highly acidic foods, such as tomatoes.
2. It is toxic-free. Cast iron cookware is 100% safe to use, unlike most non stick surface pans which release toxins into the food once they are scratched (and they most likely get scratched).
3. Food turns out to be tastier. Not only cast iron cookware requires less amount of oil to cook with, but food’s flavor turns out to be better. No matter how good/bad cook you are, the food will simply taste much better.
4. It is unlikely durable. If you properly care about your cast iron cookware, it can last for a lifetime. You can recondition and re-season it as much as you want.
5. It is inexpensive. You can buy new, pre-seasoned cast iron skillet for only $20.00. That is pretty cheap offer, considering it can last for a life time. Even your grandchildren can inherit and use it one day.
6. It is easy to clean. Unlike other types of cookware, cast iron does not require soap when you are washing it. All you need is hot water and a non-abrasive sponge.
7. It has been used for many thousand years. This kind of cookware has been used for over 2,500 years. The first cast iron was made in the 4th century B.C. in China. Later, in the 12th century, it was spread to England. Cast iron pans gain their popularity in the USA during the 18th century.
8. It does not stick. If a certain cast iron skillet is properly seasoned it should not be sticky at all. This is due to oils from previous cooking. They have been built up, and therefore a natural non-stick coating is made onto the pans.
9. Heating benefits. Cast iron cookware can distribute heat pretty fast and very evenly. Most of other non-stick pants cannot work properly when placed on high heat because their thin metal is not adequate to distribute heat that quickly.
10. Cast iron cookware can be used on the top of your stove, in the oven, or onto charcoal grill. All these kinds of usages are due to cast iron cookware’s ability to withstand different heat levels without causing any damage to the shape of the cookware itself.